I’m going to go ahead and say the thing that you aren’t exactly supposed to say about 2013; and that’s that it sucked. A big one.
With an hour and fifteen minutes until the new year begins I’m going to try to beat the clock and write that obligatory end of the year post.
I’m going to be honest and say that 2013 was not my best year, at all. Sure, there were things that were good and made it all worthwhile. For example;
- I met John Green and Rainbow Rowell and they are just as amazing in real life as they are on paper and on the internet.
- I went to a Nerdfighter Meetup with some of my best friends and we rocked out to “Wrecking Ball” and other wonderful songs the entire drive down.
- I found out that the The Fault in Our Stars movie is going to come out on my 25th birthday. So that’ll be a fun birthday. (More details about that day to come)
- I went on a free trip to the Omaha zoo with a handful of some of the smartest and coolest kids in my school and I got to be an “on location” reporter of sorts.
- I finally got a computer that I’ve wanted since I taught myself how to use them in the Newsroom of my school.
- I passed my Macroeconomics class that I was sure that I was failing up until I took the final.
- I interviewed one of my favorite people on the internet for a class project.
Other than those wonderful things I’ve fought one hell of a battle with depression and loneliness this year. I blamed my isolation on a lot of things. From my class workload to my lack of a boyfriend and to my moving into a new dorm on campus that allows me to have my own space (but looking back now those last two were a cop out).
This year I intend to actually keep my resolutions that I’ve made for the year and to expand my horizons both intellectually and travel wise. For starters, I will be going on the trip to Italy, Greece, London & Malta for conferences with my advisor and fellow Communication majors as well as my Journalism friends. I am also starting to plan my spring break, a little early I know, but it’s going to be great. There’s a very high chance that I will get to meet my Twitter crush too while I’m there.
So since it’s officially the new year here’s my list of resolutions that I’ve actually been trying to work on all year. So this list shall just serve as a friendly reminder to myself of what they are.
- study harder
- have more fun
- go to the gym and do more yoga
- drink more water
- drink less coffee
- write more: in a journal as well as my blog
- get closer to my goal GPA of a 3.0
- eat more fruits & veggies
- read more of the books that I own before I buy more
- travel more
- let love in
So yes, these goals can be reached as long as I don’t let myself turn back into the miserable bump on a log that I felt like I was over the past year. I can already tell that it’s going to be a lot of work, but it’s also going to be worth it and I know that everyone says it but, this year will be my year. I won’t settle for anything less than having almost all of it.
Happy New Year everyone. I hope your new year is wonderful and filled with extraordinary things and lots of cupcakes and wine.